Adding customers on Change Machine involves asking them some intake and preliminary questions. While most fields are optional, we highly encourage you to take advantage of them to get the most accurate financial picture of your customers.
To start adding a customer, click on "COACH" on the top bar.
1. Click “Add A Customer” button.
2. Fill in the fields with the customer's personal information.
Then, click "Save and Continue."
You will then be brought to the preliminary question page with three tabs: Demographics, Assessment, and Survey.
While these tabs are optional to fill out, using them is recommended as they act as a handy conversation starter for you to understand your customer’s financial situation better.
Tip: It may be helpful to turn your computer screen so that it’s facing both you and your customer. This allows the customer to have a sense of the questions asked and the options available from the dropdown fields.
If you'd like to skip the intake process entirely, click on the "Go to Action Plan" button to jump directly into the customer's Action Plan.
While optional to fill out, the Demographics tab is where you may input more demographic information, especially if they're important to your organization.
If your organization doesn't track these demographic information, the Demographics tab will not appear.
Tip: Contact tech support at firstname.lastname@example.org to choose specific demographic fields that are important to your organization, or to exclude displaying them altogether.
Click "Save and Continue" to proceed to the next tab, or "Save and Close" to return to the COACH landing page.
The optional Assessment tab contains preliminary questions that help you to determine what your customer's presenting issue is:
- What brought you in today? This helps you to assess what major issue the customer has. If your customers have multiple issues, consider asking what they would like to focus in that first meeting.
- Do you have health insurance? Under the Affordable Care Act, all legal residents of the United States must now have health insurance. This question helps you to assess whether your customer is at risk of being penalized when filing taxes as a result for not having health insurance. (Note: undocumented customers will not be penalized for not having health insurance.)
- Do you have a checking or savings account? This question helps you to determine whether your customer is banked. If they answer "None", there may be opportunities for you to help them research for a low-cost or free bank account.
- Do you have auto-deduct to a savings vehicle in place? If your customers answer "Checking", "Savings", or "Checking and Savings" to the above question, this question will then appear. This helps you to determine if they have been saving consistently through an automatic process, which can improve their financial security.
Then, click "Save and Continue" to continue, or "Save and Close" to return to the COACH landing page.
The optional "Survey" tab contains questions from the Financial Capability Scale (FCS), developed by Dr. Michael Collins from the Center for Financial Security at the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
The FCS quantifies a customer's financial security behavior into a number: between 0 and 8 inclusive.
You may ask your customers questions from the FCS at the start of a coaching relationship. These questions can then be asked again at a later date to track the customer's progress towards financial security.
Tip: Every three months, from the date of your first meeting with a customer, Change Machine will prompt you to ask your customer the FCS questions again.
You may access the FCS questions at anytime — without waiting for the three-month prompt — by going into your customer's profile page, clicking on the "Meetings" tab, selecting the current "Activated Meeting", and clicking on the "Add Survey" button.
Once you've completed answering the FCS questions, click "Save and Continue" to proceed to the Action Plan, or "Save and Close" to return to the COACH landing page.